This week, SanDisk® is a Silver Sponsor at Microsoft TechEd Europe, in Barcelona. TechEd Europe is one of the most important events this year to learn about Microsoft Windows – and the entire Microsoft portfolio of software, services and cloud computing. It’s a great opportunity for attendees to learn more about how SanDisk is enabling the Flash Transformed Enterprise.
We’re here at TechEd showcasing our broad portfolio of Enterprise Flash solutions for Microsoft environments – delivering cost-effective, high-performance acceleration and business benefit. These include three new Microsoft-certified SQL Server 2014 Data Warehouse Fast Track Reference Architecture (FTRA) solutions, supporting data warehouses that scale up to 28TB, 45TB, and 90TB. These solutions are built on HP ProLiant DL380 Gen8 and HP ProLiant DL580 Gen8 servers configured with SanDisk Fusion ioMemory inside as the high-performance flash tier. These SanDisk-enabled Microsoft solutions are sized to serve a range of data warehouse size requirements, and can scale easily as demand grows for data services.
The following “bullets” summarize the key performance metrics for each of these data warehouse solutions:
28TB Data Warehouse – Microsoft FTRA Certification
- 5GB/sec of I/O throughput for high data-transfer rates
- 1,414 queries per hour when using clustered columnstore indexes (columnar data)
- 98% average CPU utilization for IT efficiency
45TB Data Warehouse – Microsoft FTRA Certification
- 5.2GB/sec of I/O throughput
- 1,476 queries per hour when using clustered column store indexes
- 45TB of compressed data in a 2U server. No external storage is necessary for this data-warehouse solution.
90TB Data Warehouse – Microsoft FTRA Certification
- 9.2GB/sec of I/O Throughput
- 2,721 queries per hour when using clustered columnstore indexes
- 90TB of compressed data in a 4U server. No external storage is necessary for this data-warehouse solution.
- Ideal for ad-hoc data warehouse environments
Note that these new solutions with SanDisk enterprise flash each represent new levels of economic and technical efficiencies compared with previous FTRAs. For example, our 90TB solution with a 4U footprint compares very favorably against the largest SQL 2012 FTRA at 85TB in 24U. To learn more about these, please download the following whitepapers from our Resources page:
- HP DL380 Gen8 and HP LE PCIe Workload Accelerator 28TB/45 TB Data Warehouse Fast Track Reference Architecture
- HP DL580 Gen 8 and HP LE PCIe Workload Accelerator 90TB Microsoft SQL Server Data Warehouse Fast Track Reference Architecture
- HP DL380/DL580 Gen 8 and HP LE PCIe Workload Accelerator Data Warehouse Fast Track Reference Architecture Solution Brief
Also on display at TechEd Europe is ION Accelerator, a SanDisk all-flash shared storage appliance that is Certified for Windows Server 2012 R2. It’s ideal for Microsoft SQL Server clusters and supports a wide range of application workloads, providing cost-effective performance acceleration for shared-storage environments. To learn more about ION Accelerator, please read on here or directly download the ION Accelerator data sheet.
We’re also seeing a lot of interest in a two-server solution demo showing an ultra-low latency SQL Server 2014 OLTP solution with dramatic performance acceleration. This small-footprint solution delivers over 1 million customer orders per minute on a single HP ProLiant DL580 Gen8 server while also providing high availability and replication with a second DL580 server running simultaneous concurrent backups using AlwaysOn Availability Groups, preserving customer data even in the event of a power outage or natural disaster.
If you’re in Barcelona, make sure to visit SanDisk in booth #219 to see these and other SanDisk flash-enabled Microsoft solution demonstrations. You’ll be able to learn more about using SanDisk enterprise flash to enable your data center to reach new levels of performance and business benefit.